The word "septum" is given to the cavity part that acts as a partition wall between two tissues or cavities. The cartilage wall between the two nostrils is called Nasal Septum. When the cartilage between the nostrils is pierced, to put up some kind of accessory within, it is called septum piercing.
newscalibre piercing had been in practice since time unrecorded. If a bigger sized accessory is worn in the pierced septum, it enhances the fierceness of the look. This was in vogue during early ages to bring the ferocity on the face and alert the enemies of the strength and will to win over.
The cartilaginous wall between the two nostrils is pierced through with a needle or wire made of gold or silver. The needle or the wire is always sterilized before piercing with it. Usually the septum is pierced in a width measurement of 1.6mm. In some cases the width could be more and then the piercing needs to be done with wider instruments like scalpel, etc. or as some might wish medically operated.
The nose is cleaned and disinfected before the septum is pierced. Though the procedure can be painful but if in expert's hands then the procedure is completed with no difficulty or complication.
The septum piercing takes about 2-3 weeks to dry and heal, and the slightest traction or even lightest brush could result in pain and lead to further complication. But the complete healing procedure needs around 6-8 months
The pierced septum can hold the accessory according to the pierced part's width only. Usually the accessories come in 1.6mm width but again wider accessories are also available. Usually a ring or a semi-ring is worn in the hole, of varied sizes.
The after care session is more important and difficult in a septum piercing.
- After the piercing a little swelling due to a white fluid secretion will occur, this is a natural phenomenon in which the body reacts to the piercing. But in case the secretion tends to be in yellow or greenish color then it could lead to some complication signs.
- Even if the discoloured fluids secret then also it is advised by experts to keep the accessory inside the pierced part, trying removing might cause further complication because of the traction included in the process and taking the accessory out can also close the pierced hole.
- The pierced septum should be cleaned with warm water and sea salt mixed in it, using a cotton ball with the accessory removed from the nose.
If some simple lifestyle rules and proper guidelines by the experts are followed then the pierced septum can heal much faster.
- Any kind of alcohol consumption drags the time span of septum piercing healing. Avoid drinking alcohol based beverages, and even using facial cosmetic products containing the slightest hint of alcohol.
- As mentioned earlier, cleaning the freshly pierced septum is a must. Any negligence can lead to infections and even further complications.
Like all kinds of piercing septum piercing is also risky. Improper sterilization of the piercing tool or improper disinfection of the nose before piercing could lead to serious diseases like Hepatitis.